How Long Does Cooked Salmon Last In The Fridge
We all know how dangerous it is to eat spoiled food since it might cause food poisoning. Especially if it is a type of fish like salmon. So how do we know if the salmon that we are cooking is still good?
And how about the leftover salmon that you have in your fridge? Keep reading to know the proper ways of storing cooked salmon and everything else you need to know.
HISTORY OF SALMON
- Salmon is considered to be one of the best foods to eat if you want to lost weight just like during the old times where Native Americans would call them “samoun” although they didn't use this to lose weight but it is a major part of their diet
- During the European settlement, the salmon became restricted to being served only once a week because the Europeans quickly got tired of it
- In the northwestern part of the United States, it is commonly known as “Alaskan Turkey” but in Hawaii, it is actually considered to be a highly-prized food which they call “Lomi-lomi”
- Salmon production exceeds one billion pounds every year and it comes from salmon farms
- In North America, there is a total of eight species of salmon whereas there are only five in the Pacific waters
- In 1941 New York the very first form of salmon was made and it is called smoked salmon. It is probably the most famous form of cooking salmon. It is commonly known as Lox and is cured using salt. Nowadays, the thin slices of lox are commonly paired with cream cheese bagel
- But in 1939, few years before the smoked salmon recipe was made, there was Pickled Lox which can only be found in Concord Hotel New York during that time
SALMON SELECTING AND STORING
Salmon is accessible basically anywhere that has frozen goods. It can be bought either sliced or as a whole. Although it is more common to get it sliced since you don't have to be the one pin-boning it. But steak cuts are for those single served salmon dishes which is good in terms of presentation.
The most important thing to remember when buying salmon is that it should be bright pink to reddish color with a little firm flesh. It must also have that fresh ocean smell otherwise, it is no long fresh.
Make sure the when you buy any seafood, you will cook it as soon as possible because once the seafood leaves out of the water, it will begin to deteriorate. Keeping it in the freezer is the best place to put it.
- DID YOU KNOW? LEMON is the best when it comes to killing bacteria from the seafood
Since it is best to cook the salmon right away, people think that any leftovers can simply be put in the fridge. They don't know that there are a lot of things to consider when it comes to storing leftovers.
How Long Does Cooked Salmon Last in the Fridge?
- No one wants to waste food so we all should be aware of how to properly store them specifically cooked salmon. Before you try reheating it, make sure to give it a good sniff and if it doesn't smell good then you better throw it away
- Also remember the expiration date on the packaging of the salmon or if it doesn't have one then you must consume it within 3-5 days.
- When your leftover salmon has milky or slimy substance with it then it is no longer edible and must be thrown away
- Not eating “possibly spoiled” food is NOT wasting, it is called being safe
To avoid wasting it, you should know how to properly store it
In a Plastic Bag
Before putting your cooked salmon in the fridge, you can use a resealable plastic bag but make sure you remove all the air inside of it
In a Container
Another way is to put it in a container. But not just any type of container, it is best to use a clear air-tight container so that the air will stay out and that you will be able to see the insides of the container.
It is also advisable to use a shallow container so the salmon can chill faster
Reminder on your phone
It would also help if you set a reminder on your phone regarding the date you put your salmon into the fridge or write it and post it on your fridge.
When it comes to reheating the leftover salmon, here are a couple of ways to do it:
If you have an oven at home, you can bake your leftover salmon for about 15-20 minutes.
If you don't have an oven, you can also use your microwave by simply putting it on a microwaveable plate for about 30 seconds
MIX IT WITH OTHER DISHES
If your salmon has dried out and you no longer want to eat it as it is, you don't have to throw it away, you can chop it all up and mix it with multiple dishes like on rice and omelets.
- DID YOU KNOW? Salmon contains large amounts of calcium because of the bones of the fish. It also has omega 3 acid which is good for the heart.
NUTRITION FACTS OF SALMON
CALORIES – 185
TOTAL FAT – 5.5g
PROTEIN – 31.7g